Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Beyond Marriage Equality

I listened to a song tonight that got me thinking. The title of that song is Same Love. I know that I wrote a blog about Marriage Equality about a year or so ago and that is really all we ever talk about. Why does it have to stop there? Marriage Equality is a great start and the momentum of that is growing, but we as a community, as a country, as a world need to keep going Beyond Marriage Equality.




We need to start treating people like people. Just because someone is different that does not make them a bad person. That does not give you the right to discriminate against them. I am happy that I have the right to be me and I don't have to face discrimination and that is why I take my place beside those who are not treated the same as me. I do not have to fear that someone will treat me differently because I am straight. I can't imagine how hard that is for those of the LGBT Community.

It doesn't always have to be something big. It can be as little as asking someone to not use those words in a negative context. Lesbian is not wrong. Gay is not wrong. Queer is not wrong. Trans is not wrong. Being attracted to the same sex does not make you a smaller person. Being attracted to who you love is all that matters. The sooner we can change ourselves the sooner we can be examples for others around us and most importantly the young that look up to us.

Until everyone can live without fear we cannot truly be free. Everyone should be able to be who they are inside not who others think they should be on the outside. There are too many wonderful people that are lost because they feel they are not wanted in this world. Too many children who are kicked out of their homes or leave their homes because of who they really are. This is the human rights movement of our day. Stand on the right side of history. Stand on the side of love and turn your back on hate and lift those up that have been harmed and hurt. Make a new friend; be an ally. You will find more love and gratification in your life than you can ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment